Connection, Lets not have black ops all over again.

Discussion in 'Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 Multiplayer Discussion' started by eF-RainbowTrurtle, Oct 22, 2012.

eF-RainbowTrurtle

eF-RainbowTrurtle New Member

Credit:
    FBux0.00
    :welcome: What do you guys think of the connections? Remember black ops. Timing out and Lagging all the time. I'm not sure about X-Box 360 but PS3 connection SUCKED, What do you guys think??

UoG

UoG Member

Credit:
    FBux2.00
    It is confirmed that PC will have dedicated servers right?

I want it for PS3 and Xbox :(

human junk

human junk New Member

Credit:
    FBux0.00
    yea i had a terrible time playing when i got home from mid-nite launch. all the modern warfare games were fine

Desolationz

Desolationz Member

Credit:
    FBux11.53
    Anyone know if you have to select all 10 points to create a class or can you use the class even with missing slots?

OP: At the start I had problems with connection on PS3 but it left after while. [​IMG]
    I even made a emblem logo of that connection interrupted logo haha. All I know is they've improved the porting of the game over to PS3.

CrimsonRage

CrimsonRage Respected Member

Credit:
    FBux232.03
    I don't know if anyone saw or remembers the song parody from
    "Grenade" by Bruno Mars on the connection problem from Black ops

Still on Youtube, Black ops Grenade parody

UoG

UoG Member

Credit:
    FBux2.00
    Why would you EVER want to do this?

I understand if you don't want to add extra attachments to your guns, but just throw on another perk. Perks only help your game, not hinder them.

Aliasin

Aliasin New Member

Credit:
    FBux0.00
    these games are ultimately destroyed by lag if they dont fix this issue people will ABANDONE this series and rightfully so. they should have learned this years ago im all 4 dedicated servers but it wont happen im hopescoping they will 4 the next gen systems

Regal

Regal Member

Credit:
    FBux2.00
    Did you abandon your English classes?

Aliasin

Aliasin New Member

Credit:
    FBux0.00
    yes i did thnx BUD

TheUser

TheUser Member
    Staff Member

Credit:
    FBux188.00
    They should redesign the connection interrupted icon.

Wartyger

Wartyger Moderator
    Staff Member

Credit:
    FBux1,168.47
    I've just had my internet connection upgraded to a cable service (80Mbps download, 2.4Mbps upload) so I know any lag I get won't be from my connection. It will be from the lag compensation, or the network code and there's not a damn thing I can do about that.

I hope the matchmaking and connection system has been improved, or that Treyarch use the same system from MW2...

TheUser

TheUser Member
    Staff Member

Credit:
    FBux188.00
    That is not entirely accurate, friend.

If the host has an upload speed of 3 Mbps, you can only download at 3Mbps from him.

For the most part, you won't utilize your 80 Mbps connection because the host will for the most part not match or have a higher upload speed than your download speed.

Basically, you cannot download faster than the uploader can upload to you.

Squidgyness

Squidgyness New Member

Credit:
    FBux467.00
    Yep. Dedicated servers but no server browser or rentable servers. Basically like the previous cod games but you get matchmaked onto a dedi, not a p2p system.

So, hopefully no huge issues.

Funky Jammer

Funky Jammer Banned

Credit:
    FBux0.00
    I don't think Black Ops had a bad connection issue. Where do you live? Do you live in secluded mountains or a third world country? It's probably your connection issue, since I typically had not much of a problem!

TheUser

TheUser Member
    Staff Member

Credit:
    FBux188.00
    I think some people don't understand how networking works. You're gonna have lots of lag with P2P matchmaking because the host is most likely your average 13 year old hooked up to their neighbors routers. Matchmaking is generally low quality online gaming.

You can generally expect pings from (40-60) -> 300+ Mostly 150+ ping which translates to 3 bars.

Then you can also blame the matchmaker for throwing you into a lobby with a french guy downloading Clara Morgane ****.

Also: No offense, but the US network infrastructure is arguably third world compared to some european countries like Sweden.

xXIeGsistanceIXx

Credit:
    - FBux20.00
    I live in a cave and my connection was awsome.

Wartyger

Wartyger Moderator
    Staff Member

Credit:
    FBux1,168.47
    I was aware of this, but like I said, with my faster connection, if I notice any lag, it will most likely come from somewhere else. I'd say 95% of upload speeds in Australia are no more than 1.5Mbps (if you have 2Mbps or faster over here, you're a lucky bastard), so any lag I experience wouldn't be caused from my end. It would come from being put into games from overseas (where my connection won't help with squat), or the network code is crap/buggy and everyone feels the effects.

Internet connections are never as simple as the basic maths of download and upload speeds. Which is unfortunate, because if it was, we'd all have virtually lag free games when playing locally.

Something I've always wondered about is, do CoD games for the consoles have a server somewhere in the world, that connects everyone to each other? Or is it simply a direct console to console connection?

TheUser

TheUser Member
    Staff Member

Credit:
    FBux188.00
    No, the players themselves are the servers. Not sure how they choose the host though, but ping is obviously involved.

Hunter

Hunter Super Moderator

Credit:
    FBux10,337.00
    Usually the host is chosen by a combination of upload speed and ping from the other players in the lobby. When i lived in Cambridge I had 50 up 50 down from FiOS and when my party selected the Local search option i was host 99% of the time.

TheUser

TheUser Member
    Staff Member

Credit:
    FBux188.00
    Looked it up myself. Most are saying ping, which also makes sense. I don't think the matchmaker really gives a player with 50 mbps upload more priority than someone with 1-10.

Since distance is the real limiting factor, the one with the lowest ping to the lobby gets chosen because he can distribute the network packages faster despite having a 5 mbps upload speed.

When you play a game with dedicated servers, you never choose a server based on upload speed, you base it on ping.